Click on one of the topics below to get answers to Frequently Asked Questions:








When are my taxes due and when does interest begin?
Property taxes are due and payable September 1st of the current year.  The last day to pay before interest accures is January 5th. On January 6th, taxes are considered delinquent and accrue interest at a rate of 2% for the month of January, plus 3/4 % each month thereafter. For payments which are mailed, interest and penalties are determined by the date of the U.S. Postal postmark; postal meter dates are not accepted.

My mortgage company should pay this bill. Why am I getting this bill and is there anything I am required to do?
Real Estate bills are not sent to mortgage companies. It is the taxpayer's responsibility to notify the mortgage companies.

May I Make Pre-Payments?
Pre-payments are accepted in the Tax Collections Office prior to the tax bill being produced.

< top of page

My house wasn't complete as of January 1st. Why did I get a tax bill for it?
Per North Carolina General Statutes, you were assessed on the percentage of the house that was complete as of January 1st. The full value of the house will be reflected on your tax bill once the house is completed.

The value of my home appears to have declined over the past several months. Why does my assessed value remain unchanged?
Per North Carolina General Statutes, changes in the market due to general economic conditions (up or down) occurring since the last revaluation date (January 1, 2020) cannot be considered until the next revaluation which is scheduled in Carteret County for January 1, 2024.

When can I appeal my current assessment?
You may appeal your assessment prior to the adjournment of the Board of Equalization and Review. Please contact the Carteret County Tax Administrator's Office at 252-728-8485 to schedule an informal appeal prior to March 1st. Appeals registered after March 1st may need to be heard formally by the Board of Equalization and Review.

My house or outbuilding has been damaged or removed since January 1st of the current year. Will I still owe property taxes on these improvements?
Yes. Per North Carolina General Statutes the value of a parcel is based on the state of the property as of January 1st of the current year. We strive to have current data for your property so please take the time to contact our office at 252-728-8485 to let us know if any buildings or improvements have been torn down, damaged, moved, or added since your last tax bill.

What does the COLLECTION STATUS: USE mean?
It means the property has been qualified for a tax deferment. For more information please call the Assessor’s Office at 252-728-8485.

< top of page


What qualifies as taxable individual personal property?
Personal Property consists of boats and motors, jet skis, mobile homes (that are set up on land owned by someone other than the mobile home owner), aircraft (includes hot air balloons and gliders), and all unlicensed (untagged) automobiles, trucks, trailers, campers, and motorcycles. Business personal property includes business machinery and equipment, tractors, and other farm equipment used to produce income.

When should I list personal property?
During the month of January each year. We begin listing personal property on January 2nd. The last day to list or postmark the listing form is January 31st. A 10% late listing penalty will be charged for listings received or postmarked after January 31st.

If I still own the same personal property as I listed last year, do I still need to list?
Yes. Personal Property must be listed each year.

When should I let you know that I have sold my personal property?
This can be reported during the listing period on the listing form, you will need to provide the name of the new owner and the date of sale.

My boat is registered with the North Carolina Wildlife Commission, and I keep a current tag on my boat trailer. Do I still have to list my boat?
Yes. A boat trailer with a valid unexpired tag is considered a registered vehicle and does not need to be listed. However, boats are not tagged like the trailers and need to be listed each January in accordance with North Carolina General Statutes.

I sold my boat during the current calendar year. Will my tax bill be prorated based on the period of time that I owned the boat?
No. There is no provision in the tax law to prorate individual personal property taxes, with the exception of registered motor vehicles. You are assessed based on the status of the property as of January 1st.

When will I receive the bill for my personal property?
You should receive your tax statement in early August.

How and when may I appeal the value of my personal property?

Go to the home page under Forms and click on the Personal Property Appeal Link


DMV sends out registration renewal notices that combine the vehicle property tax that is due along with the plate renewal registration fee.  The fees and taxes are listed separately but both will be due at the same time.  The total amount due on the combined notice will be payable to NCDMV.  As before, you can pay online, through the mail or in person at a license plate agency near you.

Points to Remember:
To insure the assessment and registration functions run smoothly, we suggest you follow these instructions:

  • Notify the DMV of any address change
  • Register your vehicle on time
  • Make sure the county you reside in appears on your registration
  • Report all incorrect values and tax districts to our office immediately



What methods of payment can be used to pay taxes online?
Any of the four major credit cards American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, E-Check or a PayPal account. A PayPal account is not required to pay by credit card.

Can partial payments be made online?
Partial payments are accepted at our website.  However, partial payments are not accepted using the IVR.

May I pay my taxes with a personal check?

We accept checks made payable to the Carteret County Tax Collector on most accounts with the exception of motor vehicles that have been blocked by the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. These bills must be paid in cash, by money order, cashier's check from the bank, or by credit or debit card. When paying by mail, please include a copy of your tax bill and/or the account number on your check. For your protection, please do not send cash through the mail or put in the drop box.

May I make payments on my taxes?
In most cases, yes. Payments on taxes that are not delinquent are always accepted. Payment plans may be arranged on delinquent taxes only if no enforced collection action has been started.

< top of page

When will my payment be posted when paid online?
Your payment will be credited on the date of the transaction and will be reflected on our website the next day. Blocks will be removed the next business day.

Why are processing fees and transaction fees charged when paying online?
These fees are charged by PayPal to cover payment transactions made on the web site; this fee is not retained by Carteret County.

Will I receive a receipt when my payment is made online?
After completing your payment transaction you will be able to print a paid receipt.

Will I be able to take a receipt to the tag office to get my renewal?
Yes, after completing the payment transaction you will be able to print a paid receipt. You will need to call the tax office to remove the block from your tag.

What if I find an error on my bill?
Please call us immediately if you see an error on the bill. For questions concerning motor vehicle bills such as incorrect values or situs (wrong fire district or city) you must call the Tax Assessor's Office at 252-728-8535 within 30 days of the due date.

Do I still owe the taxes if I have traded my car?
In most cases, yes. If you transferred the license tag for the old car to the new car, there will be no changes to the bill. If you sold your car and turned in the tag, you must bring a copy of the NCDMV FS20 receipt from the tag agency to the Carteret County Tax Collector’s Office within 12 months from the date the tag was surrendered. You may be eligible for a proration of your tax bill depending on how much "time" was left on the tag. This proration could mean a reduction of your bill or a refund of taxes already paid.

What happens if I don't pay my taxes?
Delinquent taxes are subject to collection action as authorized by the North Carolina General Statutes. These actions may include garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts, debt setoff of delinquent tax bills from individual North Carolina tax returns and lottery winnings, levy (seizure) of personal property, and foreclosure of real estate. There will be additional fees added to your bill when these actions are taken.

How do I find out if the mortgage company paid my tax bill?
If you are unsure as to whether your tax bill has been paid, please check with your mortgage company.



Last day to pay before interest accrues is January 6.

Land Fill Fee - $15.00 fee assessed to every improved property in the county.

Green Box Fee - $165 assessed to property owners with no curbside trash service.

Storm Water  - $48.00 assessed to Town of Beaufort for storm water.


EI Solid Waste - $255.00 assessed to the Town of Emerald Isle.



< top of page